Friday, July 4, 2014

2014 Golden Week: Last day

It's the last day in Aomori.
M had gone back yesterday, and I'm going to tour alone in the city.
Goodbye!
First stop is breakfast.
I'd had the apple pies for breakfast in ASPAM, some sort of tourist center.
ASPAM
My breakfast.........apples of Aomori.

Apple Pie and Apple puff
Then I took a stroll along the coast, watching the harbor, listening to my blues....
 See the clouds? The wind was quite strong that day, drifting all the clouds to gathered near the mountains. Nope, it wasn't raining at all.



Then I went to the Seikan ferry museum, the Hakkodamaru.

Inside, there's a replica of the times when the ferry started operating until it end in 1988, with the opening of Seikan tunnel. There was also an English catalogue given, making the tour foreigner friendly.

Seikan ferry was also in operation during World War II. Though, I think that it was meant to carry passengers to and fro from Hokkaido, the ferry was attacked, killing all the passengers. (I'd learnt in History that Japan was bombed in Tokyo raid; and Hiroshima and Nagasaki for atomic bombs. Never heard of Aomori history). After WWII, the ferry resumed it's operation, but alas, due to storms, more casualties were born, thus the Seikan Tunnel project began.

What I really like in this tour is that how big the ferry is! I had ridden on Penang ferries and Sarawak ferries, but never had I known how really big a ferry is! There was the engine room, and rooms that stored trains inside! It's like the ferry was the ocean railway connecting Aomori and Hakodate.

The first class seat of the 1980s

Enormous engine room 
Fishes are flying in the sky on the top of Hakkodamaru

That conclude my last day in Aomori as I rode on the bus back to Tokyo.
Aomori station! Ao = blue, Mori = forest; get the logo?

On the way back, the bus stopped at several R&R, and these was taken in the early morning, in which I was in haze, but took pictures anyway since the R&R was quite eccentric.

The R&R
Never knew that Edo-style R&R existed! Very funky!


Until my next trip,

Ha Hu Hi

No comments:

Post a Comment